Tuesday 11 October 2016

Random Dutch beers (part forty-three)

"Can I have twenty euros, dad?"

Andrew's quick this morning. I hadn't even cracked open a beer and he's already asking for money. At least he was up before noon. That's a novelty nowadays.

More Boks, starting with an old favourite:


Brand Dubbel Bock, 7.5% ABV
It's paler than I recall, a pale red-brown. Looks quite pretty in the glass, though. It has a sweet, caramelly-malt aroma, like walking past a toffee shop. Sweet malt is dominant in the mouth, too, with just a hint of bitterness. Pretty old school and pretty nice, The way most Dutch Bok used to taste.

"Do you want to try my beer, Andrew?"

"No." He replies unenthusiastically.

It's been a productive weekend so far. (The first I've spent at home for a month. Luckily, I've no travel planned for the next few weeks. I can really do with a rest.) I scanned the set of 300 DDR labels I recently bought. Just the set of 450 to go. Got a couple of blog posts written, too.

Next, another Bok from an established brewery, Jopen.


Jopen Johanniter Weizen Duppelbok, 9% ABV
Seem to be a lot of strong Boks this year. Smells of raisins and booze, like a rich christmas cake. Plus a bit of bubblegum. I guess that's the wheat bit. Tastes like smoked toffe in the mouth. Not much wheat-like flavour here. Bit thin, if anything, for the strength. Not as good as Aventinus - but what is? A decent enough beer.

"Do you want to try my beer, Andrew?"

No reply.

"Do you want to try my beer, Andrew?"

No reply.

Not surprising, really, as he's gone upstairs with a brace of sausage rolls. No need to hang around downstairs now he's got his dosh. He's dead bad value for money, really.

1 comment:

Lee said...

A rule,perhaps?
If you do not first taste the beer and offer an opinion,no dosh will be given.
Hope nither of my two boys ever end up turning down free beer. I would just die of shame.