Saturday 7 March 2015

A foretaste

Of my upcoming series of post about Berliner Weisse. Which is going to be lots and lots of fun. Especially when we get into detail about the microbes that perform the magic of mixed fermentation.

I’ve spent most of the afternoon scanning "Die Berliner Weisse" (by Gerolf Annemüller, Hans-J. Manger and Peter Lietz, published in 2008 by the VLB).  The finest fodder for a Weisse glutton like me.

But it betrays how dull my life is. Mostly. Trips aside, there’s little romance in research. Just hours of repetitive crap. You try seeing how long it takes to transcribe brewing records. I’d farm it out to an unpaid intern, but I don’t trust anyone else to do the job.

Half way through the afternoon’s second Abt, I’m wandering off topic. Berliner Weisse, that was what I wanted to tell you about. I’ve a stack of new information. Well, not totally new. Just stuff I already had, but hadn’t ever looked at properly. It happens a lot.

And I won’t just be serving up fresh-cooked facts. I’ll be recycling leftovers. How much I pep them depending on my arsing level at the time.

Maybe I’ll dig up some more. There are those VLB yearbooks from before WW I. Must be something in them about Berliner Weisse. And only 700 pages of fine Gothic print to scan through. How long could that take?

Here's another question: why did Berliner Weisse labels have to be green in the DDR.


2 comments:

Alan said...

I'd be your unpaid intern if there was a buck in it for me.

You need to do a shaming Kick Start campaign which grants breweries a day of your time for the $1,000 pledge.

Anonymous said...

Label colors were defined in TGL 7764, TGL was in the DDR what DIN is nowadays.
It's an interesting read, especially the use by times for some of the types!