Sunday 27 December 2009

Whitbread Porter and Stout grists (part 99)

Not finished with Whitbread Porter by any means. Looking through Whitbread brewing logs is my special Christmas treat. I'm not joking.

Today we're at the start of the 19th century. About as far back as brewing records go. Let's take a look.


Some fascinating details there. Like how the brown malt content plummeted between 1811 and 1819. Whitbread were enthusiastic early adopters of the new black malt, though in pretty tiny amounts. I can't help wondering what colour those 1819 beers were, with almost 95% pale malt.

I was surprised to see the brown malt content rise again in the 1830's. I wonder why that was? Perhaps because the price of malt fell after the end of the Napoleonic Wars. You'll note that gravities also rose in the 1820's.

Back to Christmas fun now. I've still got the 20th century Whitbread logs to get my teeth into.

No comments: