Wednesday 16 July 2008

Inspiration and synergy

There were many reasons for me starting this blog. Finding an audience for Barclay Perkins monologues. Keeping track of my research. Showing off. Hoping to inspire others.

What had struck me about beer writing was the minute amount of original research being done compared to the volume of words generated. Not good. My own little forays into the archives had revealed how much primary source information was lying there unused. Guesswork, assumptions and fairy tales were being used instead of cold, hard facts.

I tried to collect details of 19th and early 20th century beers from published sources for five years or more. You should see the pathetic little list I assembled. Fewer than 100 entries. Half a dozen archive visits has increased that by four thousand. That's what I call progress. But it begs the question: with so little material available, what the hell were writers using as sources for their books on beer styles?

I was delighted when Beer Nut told me of a project to document Ireland's vanished breweries. It's a much neglected topic. Unless there's a whole load I've missed. He asked if I could suggest any sources. I can't claim to have been the inspiration, but I'm happy to share my research experience.

To that end, I did a quick web search for Irish trade directories. A great source of brewery names and addresses. Some are available on CD from a web shop at fairly reasonable prices. The same site also offers something that set my heart racing: Barnard's "Noted Breweries of Britain and Ireland". I've wanted to get my hands on a copy for ages. Unfortunately, it's rare and expensive. Twenty-odd euros for a CD version is a bargain. I've already put in my order.

Inspiration is a two-way street. Synergy. Without Beer Nut, I may not have found the Barnard. A book with which I'm sure I'll be boring you for months to come. Another triumph for blogging. Thanks Beer Nut.

4 comments:

The Beer Nut said...

What have I done?

I mean, hey: that's great. You're welcome.

I'm hoping the first cut of the Irish project will be launched some time in the next week or two. Updates, if anyone's interested, will be posted on this ICB thread.

Anonymous said...

Last year I acquired vol 4 of Barnard, to add to the first three volumes that had already cost me a vast sum about eight years ago (they came from the US, so postage was huge too) - sad, sad man that I am, I never tire of dipping into them, and I regularly find new things ...

Ron Pattinson said...

beer nut, because of your questions, I discovered how I could get hold of Barnard cheaply.

zythophile, I'm content with a CD version. It means I can print it out and scribble all over it. Why is it so rare in book form?

Anonymous said...

It was a subscription publishing operation by Barnard, or, more probably, his publisher, Joseph Causton (who you'll recognise as printers of, among other things, brewery posters, trade cards and the like): subscribe to these books and we'll plug your company in them. I doubt they ever went on general sale, and I suspect just enough were printed to satisfy the vanity of the various brewers featured in them. Hence their rarety.