Friday 1 February 2008

Another difficult bookcase

This bookcase is behind another computer and a scanner. But it contains some of the books I refer to the most.

In many ways Peter Crombecq's have never been equalled. They contained just about everything you wanted to know about Belgian (and Dutch) beer. "Biersmaken '87" was the first I bought. It's the book that taught me how to taste beer. I still use a tasting form based on Crombecq's. "Die Biere Deutschlands" is in my opinion is the best book ever written about German beer.


More German classics here: Kunze's "Brauer und Mälzer" tells you everything you need to know about running a vrewwery in the DDR, right down to the colour of the labels; "Brauwelt Brevier" is always full of the statistices I love so dearly; "Brauerei Addressbuch" is a very useful reference, listing as it does all the breweries in Germany.


We aren't even halfway through my bookcase project. Will the remainder maintain the excitement level? Of course it will. I've still got all the Samuel E. Bring Swedish brewery histories to show you. What could be more exciting than that?

3 comments:

Alan said...

You might be able to clean out those encroaching wires with garden shears, you know.

Anonymous said...

Ah Kunze! Of his work I favour 'Technologie Brauer & Malzer', second edition.

Never thought I'd ever get to say that. On a blog too. On a dutch blog even.

Thanks.

Ron Pattinson said...

Alan, I'd never thought of that. I doubt any of the wires are that important.

Fatman, check out this post:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2008/01/my-old-bookcase.html